Buy on Konga

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Mesut Ozil was "not on Manchester United's radar" in 2010, despite Wayne Rooney urging the club to sign him. Back in 2010, Ozil, who has made a superb start to life in England following his £42million move from Real Madrid to Arsenal at the start of last month, starred for his country as Germany beat England 4-1 in the second round of the 2010 World Cup, alerting Rooney to the potential of the then Werder Bremen player. Ozil ended up moving to Real Madrid, before joining Arsene Wenger's side in September. "The thing was Ozil was not on our radar," Sir Alex said at Tuesday's news conference to launch his book,Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography. "I said that to Wayne at the time. We signed Chicharito [Javier Hernandez] that summer. My thoughts at the time were a Rooney and Chicharito partnership. That was a fair prospect for us to look at. "When Ozil was at Werder [Bremen] he played wide right initially, then towards the second part of that season they played him off the front. "He was part of the great Germany Under-21 team that went to South Africa. That type of player was not necessarily on our radar - a No. 10. I told Wayne: 'Leave the signing of players to me.' We've got lots of them right." In the book, Ferguson had said he believed Rooney's comments were designed to either engineer a move away from Old Trafford or land an improved contract - something he did later that year. "I felt he'd been programmed in what he was trying to say," wrote the Scot, who retired as United boss at the end of last season. "The basis of his complaint was that we were not sufficiently ambitious. My response was to ask Wayne: 'When have we not challenged for the league in the last 20 years? How many European finals have we been to in the last three or four years?' I told him that to say we weren't ambitious was nonsense. "Wayne said that we should have pursued Mesut Ozil, who had joined Real Madrid from Werder Bremen. My reply was that it was none of his business who we should have gone for. I told him it was his job to play and perform. My job was to pick the correct teams. And so far I had been getting it right."